About the role
Lead areas of responsibility:
- Work with the Director, the Finance and Investment Committee and the Risk and Audit Committee to ensure appropriate financial and accounting policies, procedures and controls are in place and are being adhered to, including acting on feedback from external auditors.
- Prepare and monitor the Foundation’s annual budget.
- Deliver the Foundation’s financial systems and procedures to the highest standards, which includes paying invoices and making grants payments in a timely way and according to the electronic systems that are in place.
- Ensure all financial record keeping, including management accounts, monthly bank reconciliations, credit card reconciliations, cash flow forecasts, payment records etc. are logged on our financial accounting software in a timely and accurate way.
- Liaise with fund managers to ensure that they are providing regular reporting and analysis of our investment portfolio and activity.
- Ensure that the Foundation’s cash flow is managed in order to support our operations as needed.
- Ensure the effective and accurate administration of payroll and other employee benefits.
- Prepare the statutory accounts and liaise with the auditors to ensure there are processes in place that allow for a timely and effective annual audit, and the efficient production of the Annual Report and Accounts.
- Ensure that the Foundation complies with relevant legal, accounting, tax and charity regulations.
- Act as the lead contact for the auditors, bank, tax and other relevant authorities and manage the relationships.
- Provide financial support to colleagues and Trustees as required, including supporting with queries they may have on the finances of applicant charities.
- Work with the Director, the Head of Research and Impact, our investment advisers and the Finance and Investment Committee to implement and monitor the agreed investment strategy and other relevant aspects of the Investment Policy.
- Liaise with fund managers and our advisers as needed to deliver our investment strategy and all other relevant aspects of the Investment Policy.
- Carry out the management, administration, reporting and recording of all aspects of the investment portfolio.
- Ensure accurate and timely analysis and reporting of investment performance and the portfolio.
- Work with the Director and Head of Research and Impact to develop and implement the approach to social and impact investments, including ensuring appropriate due diligence is carried out on the proposals under consideration.
- Work with external advisers, the Director, the Head of Research and Impact and the Finance and Investment Committee to support the appointment or termination of fund managers and the periodic sizing of their mandates to support the delivery of our Investment Policy, including our Investment Objective.
- Research and ensure the purchase, installation and maintenance of equipment, furniture and office supplies.
- Ensure the office is well organised, health and safety requirements are met, arrange insurance and manage relevant external contracts.
- Act as key contact for the Foundation in day-to-day matters relating to the building.
- Ensure the Business Continuity Plan is accurate and kept up-to-date.
- Ensure IT systems run smoothly and act as the point of contact for the support company.
- Take lead responsibility for the Foundation’s cyber resilience and data protection.
- Lead on a quarterly review of the Foundation’s risk management framework, and report on this annually to the Board and the Risk and Audit Committee.
- Work with the Director and Executive Assistant on the Staff Handbook, including assuming responsibility for policies relating to information technology, risk management, health and safety, financial and investment matters and employment.
- Work with the Foundation to ensure the delivery of the Sustainability and the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Policies.
- Lead on the compilation of papers to agreed deadlines for the Finance and Investment Committee and the Risk and Audit Committee, with support from the Director, Head of Research and Impact and the Executive Assistant as needed.
- Work with the Director and Executive Assistant to ensure that the Foundation meets its Charity Commission obligations, and support with any updates to the Foundation’s Scheme.
- Develop independently, or in partnership with our financial advisers as needed, financial models, scenario planning, financial and investment reports and other relevant data to support decision-making and analysis.
- Keep abreast of relevant developments in relation to finances and HR in civil society and the wider environment to ensure that the Foundation is adhering to best and promising practice.
- Manage and develop staff as required.
- Support with recruitment as required.
- Undertake any other duties in support of the Foundation’s business as may be reasonably required.
How to apply
For the recruitment pack please click here
To apply, please email your CV and a supporting statement, both of which should be no more than two sides of A4, to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12pm on 1st November. In your supporting statement, please explain why you are interested in the role and provide evidence of your suitability against the criteria outlined in the Job Description and Person Specification.
We also require the names, positions, organisations and telephone contact numbers of two referees, relevant to this role. References will only be taken once your express permission has been granted. Finally, please flag any dates when you will not be available or might have difficulty with the recruitment timetable.
If you have any queries about the role or the application process, please contact the Foundation’s Director, Sufina Ahmad MBE, on email@example.com. You can also look at our website for more information about our work: https://ellerman.org.uk
We value diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) within our staff team and welcome applications from everyone. You can find out more about our approach to DEI in our DEI Policy available on our website here. If you have any access requirements that need to be considered in order to support your application to us, then please contact our Director, Sufina Ahmad MBE on firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss these further.
If you would like to submit an application as a job share, then we ask that you and the person you intend to share the role with submit your CVs and your separate supporting statements in one email to the recruitment inbox.