The Funding Network (TFN) is a small, dynamic charity which raises funds for other highly impactful small charities addressing issues including poverty, discrimination, social exclusion, racial justice and inequality in the UK and around the world.
We do this through live and now online crowdfunding events at which three charities each has six minutes to pitch for £10,000 followed by an opportunity for questions from the audience. Individual and corporate donations to the charities range from £10 right up to £10,000 and everything in between. Targets are often smashed with friendly competition between donors a regular feature of the auction-like pledging session which follows the (friendly!) Dragon’s Den-style pitches. This short film shows how a TFN event works and you will find videos of charity pitches at our YouTube channel.
The charities TFN supports are on the front line, serving and fighting for the rights of some of our most marginalised and vulnerable fellow human beings. The disproportionate impact of the Covid pandemic on these groups has made our work more vital than ever. Fortunately, the move to online delivery of our events necessitated by the pandemic has led to an incredible 70+% increase in the funds we’re raising for charity. Average funds raised at a virtual TFN event in 2022 was £55k which compares with £32k in 2019 when events were delivered live. This has created exciting new opportunities for us to scale up our impact at a time of immense need.
This has created a very exciting opportunity for a passionate and creative events professional or a communications professional with events experience to join us as our Events and Partnerships Manager.
ABOUT THE ROLE
In the role, you will build on the success we have experienced during the pandemic to make a real and lasting difference to the work of more than 50 brilliant charities every year. You will have overall responsibility for an annual programme of 15+ events which will be delivered live, online and in hybrid format. You will work closely with our brilliant corporate partners who host our live events at their premises, with our longstanding charity partners on themed events targeting specific issues (e.g. LGBTI+ rights, climate change, racial justice) and with our deeply committed individual and corporate members who are at the heart of our work. You will lead on the development of a hybrid event model, identify and develop new partnership opportunities and play a key role in our 20th anniversary celebrations in late 2022.
As a member of a small, dedicated team of six, you will be a strong team player willing to turn your hand to a wide variety of tasks. Experience of the voluntary sector is not required however a strong belief in the vital role of small charities and a passion for supporting their work, is.
As part of the activity mark our 20th anniversary this year, we have raised funds from our members to make investments in our organisational and digital capacity which will enable us to use this milestone to announce a target of doubling the funds we raise for charities each year within the next three years.
This is a very exciting time to join an ambitious charity, to play a part in strengthening the fabric of the
charitable sector in the UK and internationally and to change the lives of thousands of disadvantaged and
Producing and managing TFN’s live, virtual and hybrid events
- Maintaining and growing the annual events calendar with a mixture of live, virtual and hybrid events
- Developing new or special events (e.g. celebrity events, themed events) and seeking partnership
- Project management of all events from conception through to delivery. This will include liaising
with venues / corporate hosts, event logistics, catering, audio visual, managing rehearsals
- Producing high quality event materials
- Securing and briefing event MC and other key roles (e.g. special guests)
- Organising event rehearsals to ensure the smooth running of live events
- Minimising costs and keeping to a tight budget
Digital and IT
- Overseeing all aspects of event registration and communications
- Keeping event information updated on the website
- Using and maintaining TFN’s CRM system (Salesforce)
- Researching and implementing solutions to develop TFN’s hybrid event model
- Creating digital content from events for use on the website (e.g. charity pitches)
Managing relationships with Partners
- Developing and nurturing strong working relationships with corporate hosts and non-profit partners
- Maintaining frequent and clear communications with all partners to ensure successful events
- Provide clear information to partners on their responsibilities and ensure these are carried out
- Promote TFN’s brand and protect its reputation in all partnerships
- Where necessary, work with and manage volunteers
- Support International Affiliates with training in TFN’s event model
- At least three years’ experience in a marketing, communications, fundraising or events role, in
either a commercial or not-for-profit setting
- Experience of relationship management with a variety of stakeholders (e.g. corporate partners,
volunteers, charity partners, donors etc.)
- High level of digital literacy
- Excellent all round communications and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently to meet deadlines
- Capable user of technology
- Ability to travel as required and to work outside of normal office hours
Desirable skills, experience and capabilities
(To be clear, we are not expecting the successful candidate to have all of these skills and experience and
training will be provided, as necessary, to develop these competencies.)
- Experience of delivering online events
- Experience using Salesforce or other CRM databases
- Experience using MailChimp or other marketing platforms
- Experience commissioning and managing third party suppliers (e.g. graphic designers, AV, video
production, web designers etc )
- Experience using digital project management tools and video conferencing platforms
- Experience / knowledge of fundraising
- Experience / knowledge of project management
- The ability to create a variety of filmed content (i.e. film, edit and distribute via YouTube) for marketing and training purposes.
Essential personal attributes
We are looking for a highly organised self-starter with the ability to work independently as well as part of a close-knit team. You will need energy, resilience and a problem-solving attitude! If you have a strong commitment to positive social change and are looking for a role to make your own and develop it as the charity grows, we’d love to hear from you.
Salary: £32,000 - £35,000 p.a. depending on experience
Benefits include: 25 days annual leave (rising to 28 after 2 years), pension, enhanced maternity package, 4 days volunteering leave p.a. Hours: Full-time, with some evening work required. Flexible working offered and compressed working hours considered.
Location: Toynbee Hall, East London and home based. Start date: As soon as possible
Please send a CV and a cover letter to Jennie Jeffery – email@example.com. Your cover letter should be no more than one page and explain why you’d like to work at The Funding Network and how you fulfil the criteria outlined in the person specification. We welcome candidates from a diverse range of backgrounds. Please let us know if we can help you with the application process in any way. We are more than happy to make any reasonable adjustments to enable all interested candidates to apply.
Interviews will be held on a rolling basis from 24 January so please apply as soon as you can. After submitting an application, we will contact shortlisted applicants to arrange a short (30 minute) preliminary phone call which will give us both the opportunity to assess the strength of the fit. A formal interview will follow if both parties agree there is one. Good luck!