- What we do
- Theory of Change
"There has never been a more important time for funders to work together.."
London is a complex city and its funding landscape is changing dramatically. This change is being driven by a combination of factors including the redefining of the role of the state (both national and local), the changing profile of poverty and the needs of the population within London, and the increasingly complex governance and public policy landscape that our members operate within.
London Funders is a unique network. Our members invest in every aspect of London’s life, from the arts through to welfare, and they fund across all 32 boroughs and the City of London. London Funders provides a safe place to think and talk in order to facilitate collaboration and action, supporting our members to achieve their varied and diverse missions. Membership to London Funders allows for the following benefits:
- Regular member seminars on topical funding issues, featuring senior-level speakers, with challenging debates and opportunities to share opinion and good practice with funder colleagues
- Project group meetings enabling members to work together on specific issues in smaller groups
- Access to policy briefing meetings, member updates and occasional joint events with key agencies on current issues
- Monthly e-bulletins focusing on key funding issues, relevant news and highlighting members’ programme updates to the wider membership
- Opportunities to network with a wide spectrum of funders including statutory, corporate and foundation funders across London
- Opportunities to raise your own issues and disseminate and discuss your programme outcomes or research with funder colleagues from all sectors across London through our programme of events or in a tailor-made gathering
This is currently a very exciting time for London Funders and our 2014 – 2017 strategy has recently been approved. This plan sets out our ambitions for the next three years, focussed around three core objectives for our work:
- To provide the space for learning and collaboration between funders;
- To be a voice for funders and to actively engage in policy debates;
- To identify and promote effective funding models;
If you would like to discuss membership further then please contact the London Funder’s team and we would be happy to talk to you further about your organisation and how we could best support you to achieve your aims.
As a local authority, we have become much more aware of the issues facing London as a whole and other funders' approach to this. This means that local authorities are not so blinkered in their approach to funding and we have made a wide range of contacts which gives the potential for better collaborative working.
Better informed strategic planning; better understanding of other funders’ priorities and aspirations; better able to ensure funding complements and avoids duplication; better able to prioritise services that add value to others.
My involvement has led to an increase in opportunities to discuss funding possibilities with other funders; I have had real benefits from being able to discuss projects with local authority colleagues and several grants have been awarded by my trustees because we had this extra information.
We fund small amounts, but undertake research and tailored services and London Funders’ involvement has helped that tremendously.